On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 03:30:35PM -0400, Will H. Backman wrote:
> I'm looking for some hints on evaluating load average.  I have a new
> system that is showing load averages over .50 most of the time, but I
> don't see that it is doing much according to systat vmstat.  I figured
> that this machine would be way overpowered for the job it is doing.
> Is load average (like what is displayed in uptime) really a good
> indicator?
> What tips do people have for profiling?

Load average is very useful as long as you realize what it means.
Another good thing is the cpu states (%) as seen in top.

So you may be running with .50 load avg, and 99.9% idle cpu. Heck, you
can be running 1.75 load avg and 99.9% idle.

Anyway, check top to see what processes are doing, and what the cpu
states line says.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |