Denis Doroshenko said:
> So how do you specify that a function should be visible only to the
> local compilation unit?  Or, how do you keep others from using your
> locally-scoped (but not declared static) function in a global context?

>> why would you even want that (moreover in opensource)? hide for what
reason? <<

I'm not a fan of C++, for many reasons. However some (not all) of the
principles of OOP are conducive to good design practice. One of these has to
do with distinguishing between private and public functions (I won't say
variables; I avoid globals like the plague) within a module. The public
interface is all-you-need-to-know about the module. The private (static)
stuff is in the none-of-your-business category.

There's a myth that complex software has to be buggy. I don't believe in it.
The key lies in managing complexity. Hiding the internals of a module is one
of the tools that allows us to manage complexity.

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

name of winmail.dat]