On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 02:53:48AM +0100, Steve Fairhead wrote:
> Denis Doroshenko said:
> > So how do you specify that a function should be visible only to the
> > local compilation unit?  Or, how do you keep others from using your
> > locally-scoped (but not declared static) function in a global context?
>
> >> why would you even want that (moreover in opensource)? hide for what
> reason? <<

<snip>

> There's a myth that complex software has to be buggy. I don't believe in it.
> The key lies in managing complexity. Hiding the internals of a module is one
> of the tools that allows us to manage complexity.

Well said. I'll add that tools are not enough, and won't help someone
who doesn't *really* understand what they're for or how to use them.
Tools of all kinds are often misused, and some few get frowned upon
because they're misused so often.

Write good, clean code with static declarations that obviously make
things better and there'd probably be a lot less problem with it. Talk
about sprinkling static around like holy water and the reception will be
less friendly. ;)

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/
http://www.stilyagin.com/  |