> On 6/2/06, Winston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have tried the following command to get the hw crypto to work:
> > openssl speed des-cbc -engine cryptodev
> > But the result I got is pretty much the same if I don't specify the
> > cryptodev engine.
> > The crypto card I have is hifn7956.
>
> Who made the card you have with a hifn7956 processor?  Can you at
> least provide a bit more information/dmesg?

More information would not help.  We know you won't fix it.

The problem is that we know there is a bug of some sort.  We still
don't know if it is hardware, or more likely -- if it is software.  We
just don't know.  About a year ago HIFN policies changed and they
decided that they would no longer give us documentation.  They
insisted on a NDA for each developer.  Well, suffice to say this
changed our attitude, and we started caring a whole lot less.  Yes, at
the same time the various people who worked on the hifn driver had
already decided "hifn is boring", but it sure does not help when a
vendor is openly hostile.  Yes, openly.  By rejecting us they were
saying they did not give a damn about you -- the users & buyers of
their products.  I can hardly think of any way a hardware manufacturer
could be more clear about how they feel about their customers.

So it does not really matter if you give further debugging
information.  There is some bug, and we don't know what it is, and I
wish it was fixed because in some way we find it embarrassing to have
something not work in OpenBSD, but hey, what can we really do?