On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 03:01:58PM -0700, Bryan wrote:
| >    $ man mplayer
| >    [...]
| >    $ mplayer -dumpstream http://your.stream.com/stream.mp3 -dumpfile
| >    stream.mp3
| >

| I did find that, but the stream is not an .mp3 file.
|
| here is one of links that I connect to... San Diego KIOZ-FM 105.3 FM
|
| http://64.62.193.13:80/D/260/19768/v0001/reflector:42778/
|
| This is an .asf file.  Opening this in a browser gives me the same
| link.  I read the FAQ about that as well.  Mplayer has no qualms about
| running this file as is.
|
| Can I dump the stream directly as an .mp3 file?  I didn't think that
| was possible without using some kind of encoder like LAME (which I
| have installed).

You could try using mencoder. Read the manpage (it's the same as
mplayer(1)) for more details. Another option is to play the stream and
output to a file "device". This will give you a raw dump of the audio
stream which you can then convert with lame (or again with mencoder).

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/