Darrin Chandler wrote:
Look, it's pretty obvious from early exchanges in this thread that these
issues have been discussed by the principal parties over a fairly long
period of time. How many brilliant insights have been added by this
thread? More important, has this thread opened up Hifn's specs? Has this
discussion accomplished anything at all?

1) The principle parties' exchanges didn't go anywhere. It is time to
crank the heat up a couple of notches. If the principle parties come in
and ask us to stop it will go a lot futher than you, some random person,
asking us to stop. I don't see Theo complaining, and he has a far
greater vested interest than you. I haven't seen other developers
complaining, and the same goes for them. I haven't even seen Hifn
complaining, although that would only weaken their position further.

2) It's not about brilliant insights. It is about customer
dissatisfaction. People are posting so there is a record that they are
not happy with the situation, and this record covers very clearly why
they are not happy with the situation. This goes a long way towards
punishing Hifn for what we perceive as acts which are not in our best
interests as customers. The alternative is silence, which allows Hifn to
continue to dupe customers. I do not want to see another person duped
like this, and it is now my personal mission to do what I am able to
prevent it from happening again.

3) Has this thread opened up Hifn's specs??! You expect results to take
place in an unreasonable amount of time. Change doesn't always happen
overnight, especially when corporations are involved.

4) This discussion has definitely accomplished something - it has
created a freely accessible, mirrored record which points out some very
serious flaws in the policies of a supposed security minded company. As
a consumer I have relied on exactly this sort of thing time and time
again to avoid bad purchases. I wish this thread had existed three
months ago so I wouldn't have purchased a blasted Hifn product that sits
unused on my shelf!

And above all this, this thread shows that, for the most part, users are
behind the policies of the OpenBSD project. This sends a clear message
to the industry that we will hurt their bottom line if they screw around
with us. I only wish more projects and organizations would toe this line.

Breeno