I've narrowed the problem down.  I'm running an FTP server (vsftpd)
who's users home dir's are on an nfs share.  If I run vstpd without
mounting the nfs share (and create a user with a valid home dir) I get
21MB/s uploads.  If I copy a file from the OBSD box to a dir on the NFS
mount, I get 8MB/s.  However if I ftp to the nfs share I get 700KB/s
uploads.  Downloads are fast either way, it's just the writes that seem
really slow.  Vsftpd is starting through inetd (but I tried standalone
and it made no difference.)  Is there some sort of incompatibility in
doing it this way?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....