On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 07:40:18PM +0200, Paul de Weerd wrote:
> | I always symlink /var/tmp to my /tmp partition and mount /tmp with:
> | nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime,async - as it gets wiped at boot anyway.
>
> Not only at boot, see daily(8) :
>
>      -   Removes scratch and junk files from /tmp and /var/tmp.
>
> But anyway, /var/tmp is meant to be the temporary storage area that
> *survives* reboots, it's actually used for this purpose, it's where vi
> stores its recovery files. If you ever reboot your machine when a
> stubborn user has ignored the warnings (perhaps wasn't at his terminal
> at that time) shutdown(8) sends out, he'll be able to recover his very
> important document if /var/tmp is not wiped at boot.

Nope. I maybe just a stupid list lurking user, but I did read /etc/daily
and it performs similar sanity checks on /tmp as to what it wipes.

If vi is an '80's song, it would be singing "I will survive!"

And of course I use vim, what else is there?????

--
Craig Skinner | http://www.kepax.co.uk | [EMAIL PROTECTED]