On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 02:14:59AM +0200, Rico Secada wrote:
| Hi
|
| I have been thinking about encrypting some private files on my
| laptop, in case it gets stolen.

If someone can steal your laptop, can they also take it for a short
while, fiddle with it (eg install a malicious kernel) and return it to
you without noticing, only to come by later to steal it again ?

Consider this, because in such a case your private files may get
exposed while you think you are secure.

| I have no prior experience in this field.
|
| I have been thinking about using "mcrypt" with blowfish, but is this
| a good way to go about? Are there a better alternative? And is
| blowfish the best way to encrypt it?

Apaart from the other suggestions already mentioned, you could try
using security/gnupg :

gpg -e < INPUTFILE > OUTPUTFILE
rm -P INPUTFILE
gpg < OUTPUTFILE