I second roundcube nomination.

The SquirrelMail 1.5.x CVS tree is .. correct that.. ahem .. was
waaaay better than 1.4.x, but 1.5 has been beyond hope for some time
now. RoundCube is where it's at. Requires MySQL, and still missing a
search feature, but it pretty much works right out of the box.

It has been a few months since I last checked out 1.5.x squirrelmail.
Maybe it's gotten better since.