> We are not stuck on SATA.  The whole data directory has ~ 80GB of data
> so PATA would work just as well.

I fear you missed the point.  This is hardly about SATA vs. PATA,
but rather about ATA vs. SCSI.

If you do really need reliability, you should seriously consider SCSI
RAID.  Yes, it definitely is expensive.

If your budget constrains you to ATA, you should seriously consider
whether you need RAID at all.  Even with RAID, you need good, regular
backups.  Remember that RAID 1 or 5 is not a backup strategy but just
a tool to minimize downtime in case of failure and to avoid the loss
of data since the last nightly backup.

Is it really required that you do not loose any data, not even of
one day, in case of the quite rare event of a *sudden* HD death -
remember, most HD failures can be avoided if you watch out for
symptoms occurring prior to failure?  Or is it really required
that the disk is back instantly, i.e. do you really lack the time
to manually

  umount /data
  sed 's/wd1a/wd2a/' < /etc/fstab > /etc/fstab.new
  mv /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.old && mv /etc/fstab.new /etc/fstab
  mount /data

Well, you might need to block logins and kill some user processes
before doing that, but that's the general idea if you have a
nightly clone on a second disk.  You can even mount the clone readonly
and tell users about it, in case they mistype rm arguments.

Let me give an example.  For my small LAN of about 15 workstations
and about 30 or 40 regular users, i do not really absolutely need that
kind of reliability - but i thought it might be a good idea to have
RAID 5 in order to be nice to users just in case - and SATA is no
more that expensive and all...

So about 2 years ago, i got four 160 GB Seagate SATA disks and a cheap
SATA hardware RAID controller.  Of course, no SATA disks are designed
or guaranteed for 24/7 operation, but the dealer specifically told me
those would probably stand the strain.  In fact, they did not fail.
But...  Quite similar Seagate SCSI disks from the same period had
a firmware flaw triggering occasional failure when given certain
SCSI commands in certain combinations.  Seagate released a firmware
fix, asking its clients to flash the drive BIOSes.  The SATA drive
BIOS is not flashable, and i do not know whether those disks
contain similar bugs.  Maybe they do - if so, that might trigger
the Adaptec SATA controller failures.  Of course i know my Adaptec
2410 SA BIOS is flawed in itself, so i'm considering to replace it
by better hardware anyway (LSI Megaraid, whatever).  But what if the
disks themselves contain BIOS flaws?  Maybe those will confuse the
better controller as well?  Who knows...  Perhaps i should just use
those SATA disks without RAID, i will probably end up on the same
level of reliability and with much less headaches.

You see the point?

I think this whole mess is still the typical difference of SCSI
and ATA.  SCSI is designed for reliabily, if it is broken, serious
vendors actually try and fix it, but it is expensive.  ATA is
designed to be cheap.  You can run a cheap system with a moderate
level of reliabilty using ATA, but don't expect much.

Yours,
  Ingo

--
Ingo Schwarze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>