I read [EMAIL PROTECTED]'s email and felt really bad about taking this so
lightly, and not offering real help.  So, I have decided to change my ways,
and offer you real help.

On 9/15/06, dilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My question is simple- I'm a relative newbie at BSD so please bear with
> me.
> I'm trying to launch the internet; so I open a terminal and go "percent
> sign
> 'Internet'" at the prompt
>
> ie: >%internet

Well, see, the "internet" is actually an "internetwork" of networks.  What
this means is that the Internet is really a bunch of networks, all connected
with the tubes that another fella mentioned.  But that's besides the point,
what's important is that there's a whole bunch of networks out there, and
finding out what are the networks out there is a pain in the rear, so what
you really want, is something like a list of things, almost a directory of
sorts, you know, something like yellow pages.  In fact, there is actually a
website called yellow pages, and they must be associated with the REAL
yellow pages, so, if you need help getting on the Internet, call your local
phone company and ask for the REAL yellow pages, and there you go!

and it doesn't work. What gives??!!

> Also "percent sign 'Print'" doesn't work and neither does "percent sign
> 'word processor'"

Ah.  You have made the basic mistake of thinking there are separate
applications for different things.  Things are modern now.  We don't use
thousands of tiny utilties to do everything.  Microsoft has shown us that
all you need is just one application that will handle everything for you.
In the unix world, we have learnt this lesson well, and so, let me introduce
you to a new way to read email.

% emacs

If you use emacs, you can not only read your mail, print your documents and
do word processing, but you can also make coffee, launch ICBMs, and if you
have the correct modules installed, even take over the world!  You just need
to find out how to enable the secret wizard mode.

How would I launch the internet, the word processor and print a document?

> any help would be appreciated

Hope I was of some help.  Feel free to ask if you need any more help.
Remember, everything can be done from emacs!