On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:39:37PM -0600, Breen Ouellette wrote:
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> >>a) Intel doesn't own the technology, but licensed it from another
> >>   vendor.  The licensing terms don't allow Intel to release full
> >>   details.
> >>
> >>b) Intel has agreements with other customers/vendors to not release
> >>   information about a particular piece of hardware.
> >>
> >>c) Intel doesn't feel that it's worth the cost to provide information
> >>   for driver developers.
> >>

> >d) There are so many patents issued for obvious techniques used in
> >   computer peripheral chips that releasing documentation might tempt
> >   an ethically challenged company to sue them for royalties.
> >
> >Intel has been on record as stating that patent issues are now a
> >significant problem for them.
> >
> >-wolfgang
> >

> That's just their way of saying that AMD is patenting technology that
> Intel has to licence, and that is just so very terrible for them. I
> mean, shame on AMD for taking the shiny toy away from Intel.  :)
>
> And seriously, is Intel insinuating that they are using patented
> technology without licencing it? That seems rather bogus to me.
> Ignorance of breaking the law does not waive their liability under the
> law, and if they get caught in this kind of lie then I hope the legal
> system stomps all over them. It would serve them right. If Intel doesn't
> like the patent system, then they can lobby against it. But they are
> just a hair's width shy of admitting guilt if they actually make
> arguments like the one attributed above.
>
> Breeno
>
> PS - before I get accused of being a 'commie' in this latest round of
> discussions regarding bad corporate behaviour, I'd just like to say that
> it was my understanding that believing the law should not be broken is
> not how you define a communist.

Intel may just be worried that there _might_ be a problem they don't
know about and are trying to protect themselves.  I imagine that there
are plenty of opportunities for someone to either willfully or
accidentally introduce patented technologies, for which Intel does not
hold a license, into their commercial products.  Rather than releasing
information and potentially having to deal with an intellectual property
issue, Intel just doesn't release the information.

-Damian