Jack J. Woehr wrote:
On Oct 10, 2006, at 5:38 PM, Shane J Pearson wrote:

By "interesting", you mean one is well meaning, but a little kooky and not always in touch with reality and the other is focused and committed to maintaining some sanity in the world of computing?

No, I didn't mean that. I meant that both gentlemen are personal friends of mine and that the contrast between these two giants of free and open source software
could hardly be more striking.

Obviously there are elements trying to start an RMS/GNU versus TdR/BSD holy war.

If you don't find it interesting that two men could take a stand for free and open ideals, and yet interpret those ideals so differently, then fine, it isn't interesting to you. Thanks for sharing, I guess. I don't find it very interesting myself yet I don't feel the need to tell the world, but that's just me. Maybe you've got it all worked out as part of your life plan.

If you don't like RMS (or TdR for that matter) or his version of free and open ideals, then fine, you have the right to feel that way in most locales. I'm not particularly fond of RMS' views and ideas myself.

But when you reply to the original poster's message feigning that you don't understand his point, well, then you come across as stupid. An inquisitive child could understand the difference between these two mens' views, and understand that some people might find it interesting.

Really, truly stupid. And willing to share it with the rest of the world on a public mailing list, no less! Brilliant!

If you want to start a holy war about the merits of these two positions then start a thread, preferably somewhere else, and howl into the wind. Nobody cares. We've all made up our minds about which side of the fence we are on. You aren't going to change my mind, or anyone else's. You are only making yourselves out to be a bunch of idiots.

This sure doesn't help the image of the OpenBSD user base at all. When we aren't taken seriously it is, in part, because of childish melodrama like this thread.

Breeno

PS - Jack, some friendly advice, you are only encouraging them each time you reply. They obviously don't care about why you find interest in this subject. They only want to find a way to link you to RMS and then trash you.