On 10/13/06, Toni Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...] whether I should stick with RAIDframe [...] or if I should go for
hardware RAID instead [...]

Personally, I find using hardware RAID a lot easier. You can stick
with GENERIC kernels and have fewer problems on installing/upgrading.
For me, that's worth the extra cash spent on hardware.

[...] and fly blind (or which ways do I have to monitor  the health
status of disks and RAID [...] w/o disrupting normal operation?).

Using bioctl(8), I find that you're far from blind. Stick with the LSI
ami(4) or mfi(4) gear or Areca arc(4) cards if you want to use bioctl.
IIRC, arc(4) made it to the 4.0 release, but I have yet to try out one
of those cards.

Cheers,

Rogier

--
If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there.