On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 11:44:41AM +0100, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:

> The main thing I've found which doesn't work at all well is sending video
> to the external video connector to drive a projector for conference
> presentations.  The usual tricks like changing the X resolution (with
> 'xrandr') and toggling Fn-F7 have no effect whatsoever -- so far as I can
> tell there's no signal at all going to the external video connector. The
> only way I have found to make this work is to reboot, enter the IBM BIOS
> setup, and set the 'boot video device' to 'LCD + VGA' (instead of the
> default 'Thinkpad LCD').  The machine then boots normally (with the console
> display), but when I start X the builtin display is blank and 1280x1024
> video is sent to the external connector.  My usual 'xterm -fn 7x14 -fg
> white -bg black' is really ugly in this video mode, but 'xpdf -fullscreen'
> looks fine.

On a T43 I also have to have output set to LCD+VGA, and to reboot with a
connector in the VGA port if I want video out to actually work; annoying but
not unbearable. The thing that I have not yet conquered is the almost total
randomness as to what resolution X will use. On a handful of data
projectors, I've got the correct 1024x768; on most I get 640x480; and I get
occasional oddities like "clipped" 1024x768 (missing 20-30 pixels on all
edges). Nothing I've tried thus far has persuaded X to use a sensible
resolution in such cases.

My guess would be that the T43p - which I believe uses a completely
different video card to the T43 - may be immune to such problems.

Laurie
--
http://tratt.net/laurie/    -- Personal
http://convergepl.org/      -- The Converge programming language