Stephen Takacs wrote:
On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 05:27:05PM -0500, Kyle George wrote:
Actually, what I should have said was uncomment the ddb.console=1 line in
sysctl.conf.  That's where it should go.  It will work in either place
though.

Yeah that's what I did. :-)  Unfortunately the machine crashed again
tonight while I was using it, and the ddb.console key sequence didn't
work, because the keyboard was totally dead.

I had just started up xpdf, and it was taking forever to load the file
(lots of graphics on this PDF) when I realized after a couple minutes
that this time it wasn't going to finish loading...  Ever since 3.9 was

Is there any way to troubleshoot this further in this kind of situation?
I don't think it's the hardware, because I'm subjecting the machine to
the same stress levels as always, and it started acting strange the next
morning after the 3.9 -> 4.0 upgrade.

Try a serial console, if possible. I have not been able to view the ddb
output if the machine crashed while running X. Not sure if the caps lock
etc was unresponsive, though. I am on a Dell Inspiron 4100.

Or try typing "boot crash" or so, and see if anything happens, but you
maybe tried that earlier.

/Alexander