                            ^--------^-- NEEDED?
             ^--------^---------- NEEDED?
> !/sbin/route add default 0.0.0.1

I did not verify whether it matters, but I do not use `'` in my
hostname.pppoe0.

This ends up getting run by /bin/sh so it is a matter of
interpretation by the shell:

$ echo foo
foo
$ echo 'foo'
foo

And since the command receives the same string there is no problem.
If the username/password are purely alphanumeric it is not needed, but
if they contain special characters for the shell, they should be
between single quotes so that ifconfig gets them right.

> # file /etc/hostname.xl0
> up
>
> Regards,
> Alden

Regards,
ahb

--
I'm trying to launch the internet; so I open a terminal and go
"percent sign 'Internet'" at the prompt and it doesn't work. What