Hi Dimitry,

You should always verify that everything works, before taking any
machine into production. :)

well, I cannot think of a better verification than installing the OS
and look around... googling around for all the system can be rather
tedious

As others have already said, a separate
partition for OpenBSD is a good way to get started.

yes, I am going to do that...

If you don't know what the problem is, you should not be the one trying
to fix it. :)

I'm not trying to fix it, that's why I ask :)

As far as can be seen from your previously posted dmesg, your laptop
doesn't support apm at all, only acpi.  Please complain to your laptop
manufacturer about it.  We see this all the time with newer machines,
vendors don't bother to test anything but Windows these days.

it's not really a new machine... it's some 3 years old...

If all goes well, acpi support will probably make it into OpenBSD 4.1,
and there are already some snapshots with partial acpi support on the
ftp site.  But please don't count on this to work perfectly, it's still
in development.

I'm not the one who's going to play around with snapshots... remember?
I'm an o'bsd n0000000b, even if my colleagues regard me as being a
linux guru... hahaha... I know I have a looong way to go and o'bsd is
the right one for me, to LEARN

It's an Intel 2200BG, which works, if you accept Intel's weird licensing
policies for their firmware.

yes, I know... and sent quite a few emails to the intel people

As I asked you before: post the exact command lines you were using with
915resolution, and the exact error messages which prevented it from
working.

it's impossible now... the o'bsd installation is not any more there
and I can't remember the error message by heart. That was a mistake
from my part

We would rather have a chance to fix the 915resolution port, if it
somehow didn't work on your machine, than try to get some weird
Linux-only program running.

it's not weird; it's C and it's not only for Linux... it's working
properly in FreeBSD and NetBSD, as I said before

Try looking for a BIOS update from your vendor, complain to your vendor

that's where you can help me now... I've never done a BIOS update.
I've looked now and found this

http://support.fujitsu-siemens.com/Download/ShowDescription.asp?SoftwareGUID=20310743-5098-440B-BECB-93EA1BCF3CAA&ClassID=d3c7e8ab-04ec-4a50-9c81-809daa777384

but they explicitely say it's only for w$... on the other hand it is
an iso image... should I try to burn it and boot from the cd to see
what happens? On the other hand they do not comment anything regarding
apm there... or maybe yes... it's too obscure for me, sorry...
I forgot to mention that I don't have any w$ partition btw. I've been
automatically deleting all w$ partitions for 7 years. Or should I try
it with linux wine? :) hahaha...

about dropping support for established standards, or try a snapshot with
acpi support enabled (but DON'T expect everything to work in this
case!).

no, I will not... I know quite well where my limits are... I prefer to
go for the dual boot and wait for o'bsd 4.1

Does anybody know for sure that they're going to implement acpi in 4.1?

And since I am already asking... is gnome to be updated in the next
release? it's 2.10 in the binaries but the gnome project is already in
2.16-17 and it's a bit of a difference...

I could ask the IT department of my institute to give me an IBM x41 or
something similar and give back this fujitsu siemens but really, it is
just wonderful... 1.2 kg, comes with two batteries and I've sometimes
worked for longer than SIX hours with them... doesn't get hot, comes
with a removable DVD player, big hard disk, etc etc...

Anyway, thanks for the very useful comments (not being sarcastic
here!). This is (are) a very nice emailing list.

Cheers,

Pau