I have experienced the same problems with both ath(4) and ral(4) (minipci
cards). I tried to use different modes (B & G) and different settings
(channels, ..) and using an external antenna but the performance's still
lossy :-/
for ral(4): g mode doesn't work very well for me (packet loss, ...) so i'm
sticking with b mode
for ath(4): changing the mode just causes the kernel to crash :/ so i used b
mode as well.

I don't know if ath(4) works better than ral(4) for some of you. I heard it
has a better radio chipset but it is not documented.