On Thursday 18 January 2007 11:48, you wrote:

> This turns out not to be the case. MX records tell you where to send
> mail TO that domain, and have nothing to do with mail FROM that domain.
> While the TO/FROM servers are often the same, they are also often not
> the same, especially for large providers.
>
> Some domains provide SPF records in dns, and you can incorporate spf
> checks into your MTA, SpamAssassin, etc.

Good points, but the several hundred I have manually checked over the last few
months, I have easily been able to tell the difference.
Aghh, but that's because I've only been checking SPAM's, not good emails as
well.  I have also looked at the IP range assigned when the MX or A didn't
match.  Yes, so it's more complicated.

The  'road warrior'  issue though could be a problem for some, but not for me
as I don't use it yet.  I think I'm going to try and do some stuff at the
tcpserver/rbl level after it passes spamd initially just logging and
checking.
pop before send or smtp auth could be used for the road people in the future.

I need to spend more time doing scripting anyway...so it could be a good
learning curve.  I never seem to have the time ordinarily.

Well thanks again for all the responses.  It's appreciated.  Asking questions
and getting excellent answers is what this list is all about.

Regards...Martin