On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 03:53:48PM -0500, Steve Shockley wrote:
> smith wrote:
> >Why?:
> >
> >I've received a few new computers that I have to configure.
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#Multiple

Disk imaging

Unfortunately, there are no known disk imaging packages which are
FFS-aware and can make an image containing only the active file space.
Most of the major disk imaging solutions will treat an OpenBSD partition
as a "generic" partition, and can make an image of the whole disk. This
often accomplishes your goal, but usually with huge amounts of wasted
space -- an empty, 10G /home partition will require 10G of space in the
image, even if there isn't a single file in it. While you can typically
install a drive image to a larger drive, you would not be able to
directly use the extra space, and you would not be able to install an
image to a smaller drive.

---

I don't believe that section is entirely correct, frisbee includes
both filesystem aware as well as filesystem naive compression algorithms
to be used when creating disk images.  Frisbee can also do installs via
multicast and the paper referenced below includes data showing that
install times remain pretty much constant no matter how many systems are
being setup at once.  Emulab (emulab.com) can push images to hundreds
of their machines in under two minutes.

I must admit that I have yet to use frisbee myself.  I'm cloning disks
at this very minute, but due to time constraints have had to use our
existing solution (Acronis).  We're having problems due to lack of nic
driver support with newer systems, but I expect to be able to create a
BSD boot disc with the needed drivers along with the frisbee client in
the near future.

Another method that might work for you is to get one machine setup and
then mirror the boot drive.  You may then be able to detach a sub-mirror
and move it to a different system.

-Damian

[1] http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/papers/frisbee-usenix03-base.html