On 1/30/07, Siegbert Marschall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

try media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex , 1G fiberlinks should be
always fullduplex, rest ist not relevant since it's purely a hardware-
question. wonder how the thing got it's head on 100BaseTX...

apart from that it's a good idea to test them with something else,
to make sure the fibers are crossed and signal-levels are okay.

with single-mode fiber and short cables sometimes you need to insert
a dampening-block since the signal can be too strong for the receiver,
don't think it's the case here though.

Thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, this does not activate the
link either:

# ifconfig msk0 media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
# ifconfig -m msk0
msk0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
       lladdr 00:00:5a:72:fc:58
       media: Ethernet 1000baseT full-duplex (none)
       status: no carrier
       supported media:
               media none
               media 10baseT
               media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex
               media 100baseTX
               media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
               media 1000baseT
               media 1000baseT mediaopt full-duplex
               media autoselect
       inet6 fe80::200:5aff:fe72:fc58%msk0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
#

Three months ago I used the exact same fiber patch cable with two
other SK-9S91 under Solaris 8 in some other V210 or V240, and the
fiber link worked fine back then. Thus, the fiber should be OK
(crossover, attenuation, etc.). But will cross-check that by
installing Solaris again.

Further, I noticed ifmedia(4) differentiates between 1000baseT, SX and
LX. From this I actually realize that I should be able to set
1000baseLX for single mode fiber, not SX which is for multi mode
fiber.

Or, are you saying that the Marvell PHY 88112 does not really care
about if T, SX or LX is set, because for the optical "GBIC"
electrically all is the same?

Rolf