On 2/1/07, David B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
hi, hate to bother, but...

I looked around on the net and couldn't find a howto on howto uninstall
sendmail, the default in 3.8, and then install postfix.
You don't need to do this (well at least on OpenBSD).
Just install  postfix form the ports.
It will tell you what to do to enable postfix and disable sendmail:

[... snipp ...]
===>  Installing postfix-2.3.3 from /usr/ports/packages/i386/all/
postfix-2.3.3: complete
--- postfix-2.3.3 -------------------
-> Creating /etc/mailer.conf.postfix
-> Creating Postfix spool directory and chroot area under /var/spool/postfix

   Warning: you still need to edit myorigin/mydestination/mynetworks
   parameter settings in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

   See also http://www.postfix.org/faq.html for information about
   dialup sites or about sites inside a firewalled network.

   BTW: Check your /etc/mail/aliases file and be sure to set up
   aliases that send mail for root and postmaster to a real person,
   then run /usr/local/sbin/newaliases.

+---------------
+---------------
+---------------
| Postfix can be set up to replace sendmail entirely. Please read the
| documentation at file:/usr/local/share/doc/postfix/html/index.html or
| http://www.postfix.org/ carefully before you decide to do this!
|
| To replace sendmail with postfix you have to install a new mailer.conf
| using the following command:
|
|     /usr/local/sbin/postfix-enable
|
| If you want to restore sendmail, this is done using the following command:
|
|     /usr/local/sbin/postfix-disable
+---------------
[... snipp ...]

I know how to install postfix, but how do you completely remove
sendmail, since it isn't a package where I can just pkg_delete it?
Because its in the base system.

my understanding is that postfix and sendmail aren't friendly on the same
box, and I've found quite a few articles that strongly suggest removing
sendmail if you've chosen to use postfix.
Why not having sendmail and postfix on a box.
As long as the right executables are installed for the current
mail system, there is no problem ...

HTH,

Andreas

--
Hobbes : Shouldn't we read the instructions?
Calvin : Do I look like a sissy?