On 2/1/07, David DELAVENNAT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ramdas a icrit :
> On 1/28/07, Josh Tolley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 1/27/07, Reiner Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > In the next 2 weeks, a free NX client will be released which is
>> runs on
>> > OpenBSD without Linux emulation. All closed source parts from
>> Nomachine
>> > client are rewritten. As there are some parts from original Nomachine
>> > client was used, it will be released under the GPL
>>
>> That's excellent news! I assume this email list list will hear about it?
>>
>> -Josh
>>

> Hi all,
>
> I was on leave so I didnot reply.
> Thanx for the responses.
>
> Here is config of the box:
> Ram : 256 MB
> Hdd : 20 GB (hdd space is not an issue. and we won't be using NFS as
> these terminals might be placed at remote locations.)
> Processor : pIII.
>
> We are basically trying to biuld a GUI interface for the end user on a
> robust OS / platform . Idea is that the box should boot and start the
> application GUI directly which will take input from the user & send
> the data to the central server ( over lan or dial up modem ).
>
> Also kindly advise if OpenBsd with some X interface will be a correct
> choice for this or we should be looking for Java OS / Java X
> interface.
>
> Is there any good howto/link to build a thin client for Obsd.
>
> Thanx again.
>
> Regards
> Ram

Hi Ram,

i done an obsd based pxe boot thin client (it works too with local boot
from flash or hd).
It is composed by a kernel in which is rdestrooted a minimal system that
fetch the
workable system by ftp/http for lan based boot or from local flash.
As the system fetched is a regular tgz, you can put a full X and
whatever custom business oriented application you want.
After, the most ram you have the most things you can do.
and yes openbsd is well suited for this kind of usage ;)
I can send you the build framework if you want.

You can see what we previously done with a FreeBSD based system at
http://www.thinbsd.org/
The current developments are done with OpenBSD 4.0.

Cordialement / Best regards

/david

Thanx for the info & quick reply.

Regards