On 2/1/07, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 12:17:51PM +0530, Ramdas wrote:
> On 1/28/07, Josh Tolley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On 1/27/07, Reiner Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> In the next 2 weeks, a free NX client will be released which is runs on
> >> OpenBSD without Linux emulation. All closed source parts from Nomachine
> >> client are rewritten. As there are some parts from original Nomachine
> >> client was used, it will be released under the GPL
> >
> >That's excellent news! I assume this email list list will hear about it?
> >
> >-Josh
> >

> Hi all,
>
> I was on leave so I didnot reply.
> Thanx for the responses.
>
> Here is config of the box:
> Ram : 256 MB
> Hdd : 20 GB (hdd space is not an issue. and we won't be using NFS as
> these terminals might be placed at remote locations.)
> Processor : pIII.
>
> We are basically trying to biuld a GUI interface for the end user on a
> robust OS / platform . Idea is that the box should boot and start the
> application GUI directly which will take input from the user & send
> the data to the central server ( over lan or dial up modem ).
>
> Also kindly advise if OpenBsd with some X interface will be a correct
> choice for this or we should be looking for Java OS / Java X
> interface.
>
> Is there any good howto/link to build a thin client for Obsd.

Your `thin client' has more horsepower than my laptop. You will be fine,
really.

I don't know anything about Java OS, but it sounds like it wouldn't
outperform OpenBSD. This might or might not be an actual issue.

As I noted before, I'm not certain about the dial-up aspect. If it is
possible to run whatever application you want to run locally, and
synchronize via, say, unison, that might be better for your dial-up
users.

OpenBSD mostly doesn't do howto's; you might want to take a look at some
for Linux. Since you'll be using application-level stuff (X, mostly),
the difference will be small.

                Joachim

I would really love to see an implementation of the sunray platform
for bsd. The hotseating functionality is beautiful.

--
Best Regards

Edd