On 2007/02/04 19:50, Pau Amaro-Seoane wrote:
> I just downloaded cd40.iso from ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots
> and
> installed openbsd on my laptop because I thought the kernel would be -current
> but when booting I tried bsd -c and then UKC> enable acpi but nothing
> happened,
> Then I rebooted (bsd.acpi -c and/or bsd.mp.acpi -c) and UKC said "385 acpi0
> enabled" and everything was looking fine (apart from the problem that I didn't
> get any dhcp offer?).

Sounds like you downloaded a snapshot cd40.iso, but then proceeded to
install files from /pub/OpenBSD/4.0/... (i.e. 4.0 release). If so, you
now have mismatched kernel and userland; at the boot> prompt, type
'bsd.rd', then proceed with an upgrade install, making sure to set the
ftp path to /pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/...

> I can provide you with dmesg if you wish but it looked fine to me.

People don't just ask for a dmesg to see if 'it looks fine', it also
shows: machine architecture, which kernel you're running, exact hardware
in the machine (including version numbers of the hardware, BIOS version
in some cases), IRQ routing, etc. These aren't always useful all the
time, but the times when they are needed, having them right there in the
first email saves a back-and-forth exchange to get necessary information.