Joaquin Herrero wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to set up a sftp server for my boss using OpenBSD. It will be
used for heavy work from 10 remote places in the country.
The file repository is in a Windows 2003 Server, so I have to mount that
repository to put there the files uploaded.
As OpenBSD does not allow smbmount I first tried mounting the remote file
system with sharity-light.

The file repository has a very crowded top level with some
20.000directories in the root directory. I cannot change that.

With sharity-light the remote machine gets mounted ok, but when I issue a
"ls" on the root directory, I get a partial list of directories and then the
listing hangs forever.

I then installed the "Services for Unix" (SFU) in the Windows Server, and
mounted the remote drive via NFS:

# mount -t nfs -o -T winserver:/Data  /mnt/winserver

Then tried the "ls". Same result: partial list and hangs.

The NFS and sharity-light works ok for the "normal" operations, such as file
upload and download and partial directory listing. But as you know, the
graphical ftp clients show the list of directories in the first screen they
show, so they are not usable with the OpenBSD machine.

I tried the same from a Linux machine and it works ok in both tests: with
smbmount and with a NFS mount. I have to wait some 30 seconds to get the
full listing but it works ok.

It seems to me that there's some kind of limit that I am reaching in OpenBSD
with that "ls". But I am completely lost.

Can you help me with some ideas, please?

Thanks

-Joaquin Herrero

[dmesg snipped]

Are you committed to sftp? I investigated http://www.sslbridge.com/ for our company as a means to provide remote access to files.

It was trivial to set up, and "just worked".  I was quite impressed.

They actually have a very good demo site, so you don't even need to waste time installing software to make an evaluation if it will serve the purpose or not.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Good Luck,
Steve Williams