On 18/03/07, J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You may want to note that *my* approach of running -STABLE is considered
> by many on this list to be "unnecessarily conservative" and I have to
> admit they are probably right. Unlike other projects, the -CURRENT
> branch of OpenBSD is extremely stable for production use. Over the
> years I've had a lot of people tell me that they just download the
> available snapshots of OpenBSD -CURRENT from FTP to run on their
> production servers. It works. And I've never seen a single horror story
> about problems endured by running OpenBSD -CURRENT in production.

First, thank you for lengthy explanations, they're very useful for new
OpenBSD users.

I have two questions, which answers were often mentioned as 'for the brave
and experienced'.

1. Let's assume I use -CURRENT, and new release is done (for example coming
4.1). What is a proper procedure to do at such point? Is simple ;) cvs up,
recompile, install, change configuration file according do upgrade manual,
sufficient?
What I'm looking for is:
a. maybe even incomplete but some description of steps to be taken
b. general information about way to do it (For example list of steps which
I'll later expand to specific detailed items to be done)
c. list of potential pitfalls I can expect (but not the 'system will not
work' - this one I'm aware of :)

For example, I expect (however not yet examined) some information to be
found in upgrade script used by new release during upgrade.

2. Let's assume I use -STABLE 4.0, and after 4.1 is release I'll do checkout
of STABLE 4.1 - what are the steps to do the upgrade then?

I'm perfectly aware that it won't be easy nor supported, but considering
myself experienced UNIX admin (grin :), and having time to spent, and vmware
hosts to broke ;) (with snapshot feature) I'd like to extend my knowledge of
OpenBSD by doing those two 'exercises'.

--
radoslaw.