Srebrenko Sehic wrote:
On 5/9/07, Daniel Ouellet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I increase the number of contiguous connection only by 5, from 305 to
310, and you get 3 times slower response for always the same thing and
repeated all the time. Very consistent and from different clients as well.

You can do any variation of 10 to 300 connections and you will always
get the same results, or very close to it. See that at the end as well
for proof.

So, I know I am hitting a hard limit someplace, but can't find where.

You've assumed that Apache is the bottleneck, but perhaps your
benchmark tool could be limited in some way. I suggest you try with
apache benchmark or some other tool just to verify the results.

Apache (especially in the prefork model) is known to have concurrency
issues. I doubt that there are knobs you can twist OpenBSD-wise that
will compensate for Apache and somehow magically make it scale.

Actually I have found a few things that fix it tonight.

I spend the last 24 hours reading like crazy and all night testing and reading more.

I can now have two clients using 1000 parallel connections to one i386 850MHz server, my old one that I was testing with and I get all that no problem now. No delay and I can even push it more, but I figure at 2000 parallel connections I should be able to get some breathing time now.

I will send the results soon.

All only in sysctl.conf

Now, I am still having some drop, not much, but some when I put pf in actions. So, that would be the next step I guess, but not now. I need some sleep.

Thanks

Daniel