Alex Holst wrote:
> I see from the archives that I'm not alone with this problem, but I have
> found no solution: Trying to get the VGA port on my X40 to deliver
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] to my Dell E228WFP and failing.
>
> Attempt 1 with no xorg.conf in place outputs [EMAIL PROTECTED], a virtual,
> scrollable desktop of 1680x1050 and this Xorg.log:
>         http://a.mongers.org/x/1-Xorg.0.log
>
> Attempt 2 with X -configure outputs same resolution and scrollable
> desktop, plus this xorg.conf.new and Xorg.log:
>         http://a.mongers.org/x/2-Xorg.0.log
>         http://a.mongers.org/x/2-xorg.conf.new
>
> Attempt 3 with above xorg.conf.new edited to contain the modeline from
> 'gtf 1680 1050 60' outputs the same resolution and same scrollable
> desktop as before.
>
> Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

I think you aren't actually telling X to use the resolution
you want.

Try adding 'Modes "1680x1050"' to the "Depth 24" part of
'SubSection "Display"', and a "Default Depth 24" line under
'Section "Screen"' to cause it to be used.  See FAQ11 for
more info...

My A21p required stuff similar to above, plus poking at the
HorSync and VertRefresh ranges until I found something that
worked at the 1600x1200 the machine can do...

Not sure if that's going to solve your problem, but I think
it will move you closer.

Nick.