--- John Mendenhall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > OK, now I'm clueless why this happens.  I didn't see in your
> verbose
> > dmesg at all any obvious PCI busses or devices.  Yet the normal
> dmesg
> > lists your PCI devices.  I could be reading the devices wrong, but
> > read in your verbose dmesg that it found:
> > 1: Audio
> > 2: Realtek Ethernet (probably a PCI device??)
> > 3: isa0 bus
> > 4: Keyboard/mouse ports (which I really think they are attached on
> the
> > ISA bus, internally on the motherboard)
> > 5: speaker (again, same as #4, on the ISA bus in the motherboard)
> > 6: parallel (ditto)
> > 7: npx0 (I think this is your coprocessor, and I don't know what
> bus it
> > is on)
> > 8: COM/Serial ports (ditto as #4)
> > 9: Floppy drive (I would think this is on the ISA bus, but I am not
> > sure)
> >
> > Aside from #2, the realtek ethernet, I am not seeing any signs of
> PCI
> > detection.  But how can it boot off the drive, which is on pciide0
> > (from original, normal dmesg in digest #783).  That device sure
> looks
> > like it's on the PCI bus.  I'm lost on this one, I totally expected
> > see anything, SOMETHING about the pci bus (wouldn't it be pci0?).
>
> I have no idea why that is happening.  Strange.
>
> > John did state he has another version, and if *THIS* thing fails
> > horribly bad on trying to get more information, I would try the
> other
> > version.  ...
> >
> > John, please try 4.0 and then doing a source upgrade to 4.1, if
> this
> > verbose dmesg doesn't help anybody.  Sorry for bringing it up :(
>
> This is the 4.0 release.  I usually run a release behind.  And, I
> have
> not ordered a 4.1 yet.  I will in the next week or two.
>
> I do have v3.9 and earlier releases available.

Whatever you have onhand that you know has worked in the past.  3.9
isn't "supported" anymore, but using 3.9 to update to 4.0 or 4.1 would
probably work as documented by the fabulous documentation!

Let us know!

> JohnM
>
> --
> john mendenhall
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> surf utopia
> internet services

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate