>> We have a need for a low power OpenBSD device or handheld that can connect
>> to a small SCADA device (serial or USB) to collect some temperature and
>> voltage data, plus control one light switch, on a remote solar powered
>> wifi repeater tower.
>
>Soekris 4501 or 4801 would be ideal, they use around 5W and have a fairly
>flexible DC-DC converter onboard. GPIO lines are supported by gpioctl(8)
>and easy to control, even from a shell script or cronjob. Have a look at
>owsbm(4) too.

The Soekris is the fastest and easiest (and likely also the cheapest) device
to use.

You may have to factor in a different weatherproof enclosure and possibly a
temperature-controlled resistive heating element/pad, depending on the
installation location and method.

The archives of the Soekris mailing lists has a number of references to
similar installations.