Chris S wrote:
> On 5/24/07, Jeff Quast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> try:
>>
>> printf "\033c\033[?25h"
>>
>> on the command line?
>
> I was wondering, would this problem justify a bug report?

probably, but not necessarily with OpenBSD. :)

I saw this problem a few days ago, figured it was a strange video
card, and didn't think much more of it.  You prompted me to go
figure out which machine it was, and look a little more carefully...

In MY case, it was clearly due to a problem not with OpenBSD, but
with a SATA card installed in the machine.  Watching the machine
boot, the cursor vanished when the SATA card's BIOS was
initializing, and never comes back.

Here's the test...  If you have a cursor at the boot> prompt, but
then it vanishes as OpenBSD boots, it's an OpenBSD problem.

If the boot> prompt has no cursor, it's not an OpenBSD problem.
Complain to someone who sold you the parts... You would most
likely find that a DOS floppy also does not give you a cursor.

For the record, here's the culprit in my case:

+pciide1 at pci0 dev 14 function 0 "VIA VT6421 SATA" rev 0x50: DMA
+pciide1: using irq 11 for native-PCI interrupt

That's an add-on SATA board.  Remove card, no problem.  Install
card, no cursor.

(this was running a recent snapshot, but I verified the cursor
didn't come back in 3.9-release, as well).

BTW: At least some cheap VIA SATA cards have some really
crappy ROMs on 'em.  I've found they often trip over their
own code when there are more than one of them in a machine,
and found some of them don't seem to like 1TB disks attached,
and at least one was not flashable.  Prying the ROM off the
board fixed a lot of problems.

If this is your problem and you aren't booting from the
thing, you may wish to consider this solution as well.

Nick.