In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118157353605570&w=1>
I wrote
# I have a problem with suspend-to-RAM on an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T41p
# running OpenBSD 4.1-stable.  Basically, suspend-to-RAM works fine if
# I'm not running X, but hangs the system if I'm running X.  My basic
# question is, has anyone gotten suspend-to-RAM to work while X is
# running on a T41p, and if so, how did you do it?

In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118158640324339&w=1>,
Niall O'Higgins suggested
> Try switching to console before suspend.

and in message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118159088829879&w=1>,
Jussi Peltola offered a pointer to a program to do this automatically.

That's a good idea!  Alas, when I tried it, the results were the same
as when I tried suspend from within X :( :(
#         ==> the moon-shaped status light starts blinking
#             and keeps on blinking, disk and fan stay running,
#             and the machine is hung (all keyboard input is ignored,
#             including 'Fn' and 'Fn-F4'; I have to power-cycle it
#             to regain control (which in turn requires fsck-ing all
#             mounted the file systems etc))

More generally, the *only* conditions under which suspend-to-RAM works
is if X has *never* been run since the last reboot.

Since X is so tied up in this, I should also note that I do *not* have
an 'xorg.conf' -- the system is using some sort of internally-generated
default X configuration, which works fine (which is why I never bothered
to set up my own 'xorg.conf'.  (My X resolution is 1400x1050, default
depth 16 bits/pixel, other available depths 1, 4, 8, 15, 24, 32.)
One of the things I haven't yet tried, but plan to try soon, is to set
up an explicit 'xorg.conf' (eg there's a T41p configuration on the OpenBSD
laptops page http://www.openbsd.org/i386-laptop.html which gives one),
and see if this helps.

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg -- remove -animal to reply" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut)