On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 02:23:06PM +0200, Jaap Versteegh wrote:
> >>Furthermore, I don't want to install X and surely apr-util doesn't need
> >>to depend on it.
> >
> >it does, because it uses expat, and that's where expat comes from in
> >-current.
> That explains the need for the 'depend' from the point of view of the
> apr-util Makefile developer.
> From an overall or user perspective, the need for any package that uses the
> expat xml parser to depend on the xbase package, is still entirely unclear.
> For one: this dependency was never neccessary in the past. Shouldn't expat
> not just go into /usr/lib ?

Well, OpenBSD's dual system for dealing with software ('base' and
'ports') could be criticized, but unless you want to do that, there is
no more sensible way to do this. The alternative would be to require
someone to install a port before installing X, which makes even less
sense.

Really, this is a non-problem. Just install the whole base system,
including at least xbase, and be done with it.

                Joachim

--
TFMotD: atc (6) - air traffic controller game