John Mendenhall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So, based on these logs, from different openbsd cd versions,
> my hypothesis is there is some weird sort of hardware problem.
> My question is, what tools do you all use to determine where
> the hardware problem could be?

google turns up a few references on various BSD mailing list for the
search string "OpenBSD ffs_valloc: dup alloc".  No clear cut
solutions, but the popular suspicion runs in the direction of buggy
(S)ATA controllers or, of course, possibly subtle, hard to trigger
bugs in the operating system's controller support code.  Swapping out
motherboards could be unpleasant, but seeing that the error occurs at
pretty much exactly the same spot on the CDs, have you tried swapping
out the CD/DVD drive for a different unit?