>From what I understand from the post, you are suggesting a scheme
similar to what snort2pf is doing for snort and pf. In layman terms,
when snort issues an alert, snort2pf informs pf about the attacker's IP,
and pf takes an action. AFAIK, this is currently the only way to convert
snort from an IDS into an IPS on OpenBSD (snort inline works only on
Linux, if I'm not mistaken).

Similarly, when SpamAssassin or DSPAM determine that an e-mail is spam,
(again in layman terms) they inform spamd about the spammer IP and
then-after that IP is handled by spamd. Please beware this scheme does
not require any change to spamd functioning. And if implemented, it
could save processing resources of the system, because the spammers
which are not in any blacklist could be dynamically added to the spamd
blacklists and could not reach content scanners like SpamAssassin and
DSPAM, which are much more expensive in terms of processing resources.

Probably a simple shell script could do the job, which would look at
SpamAssassin logs to find out the spam score and IP address, and insert
into spamd blacklists as necessary. The only caveat is that threshold
spam score for blacklisting should be kept very high to prevent
inserting false positives into spamd blacklist.

In my experience spamd is very successful, but SpamAssassin catches some
spam e-mails that spamd misses occasionally. (After all, OpenBSD
maillists also use both, see http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html).

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the OP's point was missed
in the other replies. I also would like to know what people at misc@
think about such a scheme.