On 7/16/07, Ioan Nemes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Me to!  But NOT JUST PCIe-16.  I've got some older machines
which have no PCIe-16.

Ioan

>>> Paul de Weerd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 16/07/2007 07:07 >>>
Hi,

I'm in the market for a new videocard (for a new workstation). I'm
looking for recommendations on what to buy given the following
requirements :

        o MUST have two DVI outputs
        o MUST be able to drive X with 2x 1600x1200
        o MUST be PCIe-16
        o SHOULD be passively cooled

An (obvious) non-requirement is fancy-smancy OpenGL support and other
look-at-me-mom-i'm-being-cool-features. Many xterms, some firefox and
a couple of mplayer'ed or VLC'ed video's is all I need.

Of course, the biggest requirement is that it MUST be supported in
OpenBSD/xenocara (-current is OK). An Open Source-friendly vendor is
preferred but I'm afraid the market is in quite a bad state at the
moment.

I had an ATI X1300Pro. It was everything I wanted except for the
OpenBSD-supportedness - I had to pass it off to someone else. I rather
not make the same mistake again, any suggestions ? First-hand
experience much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

PS: The machine will probably run amd64 but I'm hoping that the
'supported by OpenBSD/xenocara'-requirement gets me hardware that is
pretty much arch-agnostic. If stuff is very much in development, I'd
settle for i386 as long as it works.

You may try the Matrox G550 PCIe. They are PCIe x1, not x16, but it
should fulfill all your other constraints.

The work on the new avivo driver for ATI X1xxx chipsets should make
the situation better in a couple of month, but it won't be imported
before the OpenBSD 4.2 release. (the nouveau driver should also
improve things on nVidia hardware, but it requires drm, so it's a
longer story).