Bob Beck wrote:
I used to fight with such insanity constantly.
        However since printers are frequently sold and shipped
with a basically undocumented interface, and more than half the time
these filter utilites are barely reverse engineered POS's I decided
long ago that fighting with them was counterprodocutive. easily 2/3 of
the time (depending on your printer model) they are unreliable at
best.
        simple answer, postscript printers are cheap. find a printer that
speaks postscript and avoid all the nonsense.  I got one (LexMark
C510) a year and a half ago for $325 CDN that speaks postscript and
talks to my print spooler on ethernet, and most of my printer woes
went away.

Sorry to hi-jack this thread - but I'm currently fighting with a Lexmark C500n - when talking lpd over the network to it, it always resets the connection without printing the job.

The printer does have lpd enabled - but I've not managed to get it working could you enlighten me :~)

My printcap and log message from /var/log/lpd-errs follows:

x41:fred ~> cat /etc/printcap
#       $OpenBSD: printcap,v 1.4 2003/03/28 21:32:30 jmc Exp $

#lp|local line printer:\
#       :lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

#rp|remote line printer:\
#       :lp=:rm=printhost:rp=lp:sd=/var/spool/output:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

rp|c500|laser|lexmark:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=c500.crowsons.net:\
        :rp=ps:\
        :sd=/var/spool/C500:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
x41:fred ~> lpr -Plaser which.ps
x41:fred ~> tail -2 /var/log/lpd-errs
Jul 17 18:14:36 x41 lpd[18903]: x41.crowsons.net requests printjob laser
Jul 17 18:14:39 x41 lpd[18903]: laser: lost connection
x41:fred ~>

Thanks

Fred
--