I have an old Belkin F6C525-SER ups attached to serial port 1.
When "/usr/local/bin/upsdrvctl start" runs, it finds & identifies
the ups correctly. Also, no problem when "/usr/local/sbin/upsd"
runs. But, when "/usr/local/sbin/upsmon" runs, I get:

Broadcast Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            ((not a tty)) at whatever time run . . .

communications lost to the UPS

Repeat 1st line (Broadcast etc)

A UPS is unavailable (can't be contacted for monitoring)

----

Below are all the pertinent uncommented settings in nuts config
files.

(snippet from /etc/nut/ups.conf)

I've tried entering different labels here, including the actual
identification of the ups, F6C525-SER along with anywhere else
it's required to match. Didn't help. I assumed this was an
arbitrary setting & only mattered in that it has to match in
any other config files it's used in.

  [belkinups]
        driver = belkin
        port = /dev/tty00
        desc = "bubbhasbox"
----
(snippet from /etc/nut/upsd.conf)

ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1

ACCEPT localhost
REJECT all

# ==========================================
MAXAGE 15

----

(snippet from /etc/nut/upsd.users)

        [dennyboy]
                password  = xxxxxxxx
                allowfrom = localhost
                actions = SET
                instcmds = ALL
                upsmon master
#
# The matching MONITOR line in your upsmon.conf would look like this:
#
# MONITOR [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1 monuser pass master       (or slave)

----

(snippet from /etc/nut/upsmon.conf)

RUN_AS_USER nutmon      # This user added as per docs

MONITOR [EMAIL PROTECTED]:5678 1 dennyboy xxxxxxxx master

I've also tried this without a port after localhost. No difference.
Still doesn't work. I may have misunderstood the docs, but there
were instructions without a port being appended also.

# ------------------------------------------------------------------

MINSUPPLIES 1

# ------------------------------------------------------------------

SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h -p +0"

# ------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTIFYCMD /usr/local/bin/notifyme.sh

# ------------------------------------------------------------------

POLLFREQ 10

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

POLLFREQALERT 10

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOSTSYNC 15

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEADTIME 30

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
# Pertinent script added to /etc/rc.shutdown as per docs
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I changed each instance of %s to belkinups just like the
label in ups.conf

#
NOTIFYMSG NOCOMM "A UPS is unavailable (can't be contacted for monitoring)"
NOTIFYMSG COMMOK "Communications established with UPS"
NOTIFYMSG COMMBAD "Communications lost to the UPS"
NOTIFYMSG ONLINE "UPS belkinups is getting line power"
NOTIFYMSG ONBATT "Someone pulled the plug on belkinups"
NOTIFYMSG LOWBATT "UPS belkinups has a low battery"
NOTIFYMSG FSD "UPS is being shutdown by the master"
#
# Note that %s is replaced with the identifier of the UPS in question.

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

RBWARNTIME 43200

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOCOMMWARNTIME 300

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

FINALDELAY 5

Just wanted to say that I've read the docs & man pages numerous times
& searched extensively through mailing list archives, & experimented
with the settings until I ran out of ideas, before asking about this
on the list. It's either something I'm missing, misunderstanding, or
possibly a peculiarity with my hardware. Any help greatly appreciated.

Denny White

--

    _______  ____   ___

    [ 1987 - 2007 ]

  http://sdf.lonestar.org
 Public Access Unix System
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFGpCf4y0Ty5RZE55oRAkOTAJsE9YWl7G8unYpMDOgpZB7VvP0TQACgsQAn
VUa9ASlqcKsdR42ypfYU4+Q=
=SXZT
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----