* nicodache <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070820 15:26]:
> Hello,
>
> I'm almost done configuring some little 1U server for my own
> edutainment, and I'm busy trying to configure the serial console.
> I have the excellent book of Michael W. Lucas calld "Absolute
> OpenBSD", and he tells about serial console, that by entering "set tty
> com0", we can access the machine from any other machine that has a
> serial port, and a port monitoring software.
> I use a windows computer for it, only because I know this machine's
> serial port works, and the configuration I set up for my cisco (which
> is the same config as the one for openbsd) works in that machine.
> However, I can't get my serial port on my server to work ; I type in
> set tty com0, and nothing nowhere ! It even seems this server does not
> boot up ! (I can't find it with an nmap -sP with serial on booting,
> while I can otherwise).
> The server is an old compaq server : Proliant DL 320 (G1), with only 1
> serial port on the motherboard.
>
> Is there anyway for me to check my com port is detected and working,
> before I put my server into a datacenter ?
>
> Thanks
>
> nicodache

This doesn't answer your question directly, but you could take a look in
the FAQ here:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#SerCon

and change the relevant line in /etc/ttys to something like:

tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.19200"  vt220    on secure

If you don't enable the console, 'set tty com0' doesn't help.

HTH,
Jim