On 9/3/07, stan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Name        Flags      Part Type  FS Type          [Label]        Size
> > > (MB)
> > >   sda1                    Primary   Unknown (27)                  10479.01
> > >   sda2        Boot        Primary   FAT16            []           31453.48
> > >   sda3                    Primary   Linux ReiserFS                39999.54
> > >   sda5                    Logical   Linux swap / Solaris           3997.49
> > >   Logical   Free Space                                            74109.78

sda1 is most probably your "rescue" space or bios utilities.  Not
recommended for deletion.

sda2 looks like your vista.

sda3 is your linux partition.  Recommend not using reiserfs.  It has
interesting failure cases.  Recommend installing linux in an extended
partition (along with the swap, which is your sda5).

> So, I need to move the Linux partion (using gpartd), reset the boot loader,
> and then I can put the 2 BSD's in the remaining 2 primary partions?

Unless you want to remove your bios/restore partition, you won't have
an additional primary partition.  *ponder*  Hmm... vague neurons are
telling me that ntfs may be bootable from an extended partition.  You
may have to destroy your vista install to try that, but if it works,
then you can have the following:

/dev/sda1 - primary restore
/dev/sda2 - openbsd
/dev/sda3 - freebsd
/dev/sda5 - extended linux
/dev/sda6 - extended linux swap
/dev/sda7 - extended vista

> I don't need the suspend to disk functionality anyway.

You'll have to get pretty friendly with grub.  Alternatively, get very
friendly with the windows bootloader (you can use it to boot linux,
and probably also openbsd and freebsd).

--
"This officer's men seem to follow him merely out of idle curiosity."
-- Sandhurst officer cadet evaluation.