In <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118786051715312&w=1>
I wrote:
> I run -stable on an IBM/Lenovo T41p laptop with 512M memory and 2G swap.
> I cvs-updated /usr/src on Aug 22 around 21:00 GMT.  As usual, I followed
> the instructions at  http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html  to rebuild...
> but unlike all the other times I've done this, this time 'make build'
> died while building perl.
[[...cut-n-paste error transcript ending with "out of memory"...]]
> A 'make build' usually takes 2 or 3 hours on this system, and the system
> has enough memory that (with the top-level 'make build' at nice 20) I
> don't
> notice any significant slowdown in concurrent interactive use.  I've
> certainly never noticed 'make build' paging before.
>
> How much memory is an i386 4.1-stable 'make build' supposed to need?
>
> Or is this more likely a cvs bit-bash which has garbled my tree
> and the failure symptom just happens to be an infinite recursion
> somewhere?

I'm pleased to report that I have "solved" the problem:
Just (as root)  rm /etc/malloc.conf  (which previously was a
symlink pointing to FGJP).

So... it seems that 'make build' doesn't like malloc.conf being
set to something other than the default (which is 'nothing at all').
Ok, lesson learned for next time...

My question now is, was this an OpenBSD bug (which I should report
on gnats), or a user error (which I should not report on gnats, at
least not on the OpenBSD gnats :) ?

ciao,
--
-- Jonathan Thornburg (remove -animal to reply)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>