On 2007/09/04 09:40, Adrian Fisher wrote:
> I recently began to read about OpenBSD with a view to installing it on
> my home system (I am somewhat new to Unix) and while I was able to
> install the base system without any problems I was unable to find
> clear instructions or pointers on how to go on from there.

Good start; the best way forward is to play around with the system
and learn your way around the documentation. As a new user, you're in
a good position to help identify areas that could benefit from more
detail, adjustments, or even just linking between sections.

Coming from MS and "desktop" Linux it might require a slight
change of mindset to trust the documentation, but it's one you need
to make to get much out of OpenBSD.

> I wish to install the system then install and use the KDE interface

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html should help you get that
installed. As Peter pointed out you need to have the X file sets
too, if you missed them, the easiest way to add them is to boot
the installer and do an upgrade install. (The normal way to
start X is to place xdm_flags="" in /etc/rc.conf.local).

> and use CVSync to update all source and follow the stable branch.  I

You'll find more about cvsync and building the OS from source
on www.openbsd.org, but there's plenty more to learn as it is.
There's really no hurry to get into source builds.

I don't know what you already know, but I'd suggest vi or mg,
basic use of pkg_* tools, grep, locate, man as all being good
to learn early.