On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:40:30 -0500
Marco Peereboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Wrong wrong wrong.
>
> You interpretation is not relevant.  The interpretation of the law is.
> You can't go around changing legal interpretation at your convenience.
>
> "I interpret that downloading mp3s is like totally legal now" doesn't
> make it so.  Try it and see what happens.
>
> Let me try once more to explain how this works.  Here is the license
> of a piece of code I wrote:
>  * Copyright (c) 2007 Marco Peereboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for
> any
>  * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
>  * above  copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all
> copies.
>
> This means if you want to use my code in any way shape or form you
> MUST maintain the copyright & license.  It says on ALL copies
> therefore this includes other code, binary files, source, GPL goo etc.
>
> The whole point is that one can't go around interpreting law.  That's
> a judge's job.  I am not interpreting any licenses for anybody, I am
> stating facts as they exist today in the frame of the law.  Don't like
> that?  I suggest suing someone to see if you can get a judge to agree
> with your interpretation; from there you can claim jurisprudence.
>
> On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 08:52:45AM -0400, David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:
> > Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > >
> > >For the record -- I was right and the Linux developers cannot
> > >change the licenses in any of those ways proposed in those diffs,
> > >or that conversation (http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/28/157).
> > >
> > >It is illegal to modify a license unless you are the owner/author,
> > >because it is a legal document.
> >
> >    With respect to both you and Eban, I  would disagree..
> >
> >    The law requires complying with the license not preserving it.
> >    The license is a part of the copyrighted work.
> >    It grants users rights beyond those of copyright law.
>
> Wrong.  Copyright includes ALL rights; the license is what surrenders
> some of these rights.  Copyright is INCLUSIVE.  In other words if if
> write my totally 1337 program that has NO license it automatically is
> completely covered by copyright.  One can NOT copy it, can NOT modify
> it & can NOT distribute it.  It is the most restrictive license.
>

> >    The ISC License requires little more than preserving the
> > copyright notice, not the license itself,
> >    And even that I would think is redundant as removing a copyright
> > notice would likely violate copyright law.
>
> Not "likely"; it is breaking the law.
>

> >    BSD Licensed code has found its way into proprietary products,
> > with no availability of source - and no preservation
> >    of license.
>
> Try to run strings on windows command line utilities.  You'll see that
> they preserved the copyrights as required.
>
> If you are not preserving the copyrights and the license in the file
> you are breaking the law.

I did run strings on some Windows XP command line tools just out of
curiosity and while I was able to find the copyright line I couldn't
find any license.
I don't want to reanimate this thread, I want it to die as quickly as
possible but I was just wondering why they don't need to provide the
license conditions.

Jona

--
"I am chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists
build rhythms. I am the spirit with which your children and clowns