Christian Weisgerber wrote:
Daniel Ouellet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As we are on the subject and I do not want to deviate from the original question, I would however appreciate suggestions as to how I can have a one server witch can actually have up to 32 serial console to control LOM on Sun server. I may need up to 48 in one case, but instead of using a bunch of Cisco 2509 and 2511, I would much prefer using one good OpenBSD server with proper PF, etc

Put the access servers in a private network and an OpenBSD box in
front.  We use such a setup for the ports.openbsd.org machines.
There is a little Soekris that can be accessed by ssh and that runs
ports/comms/conserver, and on a separate interface it is connected
to an access server.

Alternatively, you can put puc(4) cards into an OpenBSD box or hook
up a tangle of ucom(4) adapters to a tree of powered USB hubs
There are several multi-port USB-serial adapters available. You can get bus-powered ones up to around 8 DB9 ports. Beyond that, they have their own power supplies Here are a few that have good prices. I am not sure how good they are, but I did just order the PL-8COM one at $159USD for exactly this application...
http://www.byterunner.com/byterunner/new_frontpage=usbserialadapters

/Jason