Stuart Henderson wrote:
On 2007/09/19 19:00, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
Le me know how it goes with current, I am curious as so far all feedback I got is no one yet can get an AMD64.mp stable at this time

this must be hardware-dependent, my main desktop is amd64 MP
(opteron 175 i.e. dual-core) and gives no trouble on -current.

And that's what I am trying to find out as to where the problem possibly might be.

There was feedback as to not having any problem with the Sun X4100 on the list before. May be they were not multi core, and/or multi processor, I can't say as it wasn't said, but I have 4 of them and all 4 can't be stable by any mean with amd64. Very obvious with the mp and less sensitive with the single processor kernel, but still crash. All four of them, so that's not a single hardware box problem. I tried current, some special patches, stable, went back to 4.1 and none are stable by any mean. I have been doing research for many weeks so far and try to isolate the problem the best way I can and still no success yet. I haven't give up yet, but I am honestly starting to run out of ideas however. Try different BIOS version, RAID no RAID, custom kernel, acpi on/off. Disable component in BIOS, etc. Still same results, not to the same extend every time, but no stable box yet that I could beat up and fell confident in it.

I have one more stupid idea I will try tonight, but for this I need to drive to the site these boxes are install and that's about 2 hours drive back and forth. However, it is worth the trip to me as I think it might be something that may help isolate part of the problem anyway.

But that's where I am now.