> > What is the relation of OpenBSD's audio drivers to the OSS project?
> > What, if anything, does opensourcing (GPL, I know) their code mean for
> > our audio drivers? In particular, does that mean (future) support for
> > the high-end soundcards such as M-Audio Delta?
>
> OpenBSD uses an implementation of the Sun audio system, which is a
> different system to OSS alltogether. I don't know where it came from,
> it is probably not based upon any of sun's code due to licensing.

Thanks, that explains it for me.

> As for the M-audio Delta, not sure about that particular card, but I
> have a M-audio mobile pre (usb), which works fine under OpenBSD.

Which underlying hardware driver does it use?

> I'm not sure if that's an indication that M-audio aim to support UNIX,
> or just a coinsidence. Try dropping them an email?

Looks like the only "UNIX support" they do is have an NDA with OSS, who
have drivers for the better M-Audio cards (and RME Hammerfall) in
their binary, nonfree drivers ...

> In all fairness, you would be better off using a nice piece of kit
> like that on Windows or MacOSX (/me ducks),

(take off your glasses and step outside, hombre)

> because the audio editors for NIX are slightly limited
> in comparison to say Cubase or Pro-tools.

True, but that's way over the level I need. Nowadays, I do my audio
work on FreeBSD using sox, ecasound, snd, and ardour - just curious
about migrating this to OpenBSD.

        Thanks

                Jan