On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 03:32:07PM +0200, Jan Stary wrote:
> > > What is the relation of OpenBSD's audio drivers to the OSS project?
> > > What, if anything, does opensourcing (GPL, I know) their code mean for
> > > our audio drivers? In particular, does that mean (future) support for
> > > the high-end soundcards such as M-Audio Delta?
> >
> > OpenBSD uses an implementation of the Sun audio system, which is a
> > different system to OSS alltogether. I don't know where it came from,
> > it is probably not based upon any of sun's code due to licensing.
>
> Thanks, that explains it for me.

OpenBSD's audio system originaly came from NetBSD.

> > As for the M-audio Delta, not sure about that particular card, but I
> > have a M-audio mobile pre (usb), which works fine under OpenBSD.
>
> Which underlying hardware driver does it use?

uaudio.  the nice thing about uaudio, is that's it's based on a
standard.  uaudio is not a 100% complete implementation of USB
audio, but it is still being worked on.

> > I'm not sure if that's an indication that M-audio aim to support UNIX,
> > or just a coinsidence. Try dropping them an email?
>
> Looks like the only "UNIX support" they do is have an NDA with OSS, who
> have drivers for the better M-Audio cards (and RME Hammerfall) in
> their binary, nonfree drivers ...
>
> > In all fairness, you would be better off using a nice piece of kit
> > like that on Windows or MacOSX (/me ducks),
>
> (take off your glasses and step outside, hombre)
>
> > because the audio editors for NIX are slightly limited
> > in comparison to say Cubase or Pro-tools.
>
> True, but that's way over the level I need. Nowadays, I do my audio
> work on FreeBSD using sox, ecasound, snd, and ardour - just curious
> about migrating this to OpenBSD.

there is no Jack port for audio(4), so ardour is out.  I have a partially
working snd port, and ecasound looks doable.  you may want to consider
using audacity.  I also have a partly working pd port, if anyone is
interested in that.

note, OpenBSD does have an OSS compatability library.  but until
recently, it (and audio(4) too, really) suffered from bugs that made
it less than ideal (practically unusable) for recording/audio
production.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]